Estimated reading time: 3 minutes, 54 seconds
I am a self-proclaimed renaissance man. I love tools, motorcycles, old cars and trucks, and having a place to store my tools that is off limits to others. A place to be creative, dream, make stuff, and hang out with likeminded folks. A place to be myself, watch sports, listen to and play music, and fix stuff, that is comfortable year-round and well-lit, with a bathroom and a fridge.
Self-Diagnosing Is the Key
The signs and symptoms are fairly obvious, but I have a few self-test questions for those who are on the fence or in denial.
Tell Me How You Really Feel
Generally, it goes something like this: once the shine starts to wear off, the patina of marriage starts to form around the edges. There is no specific timeline associated, but the sentiment starts to well up, then the outburst happens, like a fart that slips out when you least expect it. “Why Is All My Stuff Shit & All Your Shit Stuff?”
BINGO, You’ve Reached the Top of the Slippery Slope
If you are lucky enough to still be happily married, there will never peace or harmony until you realize you are infected. Rarely acute or fatal, it can cause lifelong angst and regrets if not acted upon within a decade of initial onset.
Am I One of Them?
A Simple Test
- Do you have more than one motorcycle?
- Do you get depressed when you are in a store that sells tools because you have at least one of everything already?
- When you see some cool thing, you think or worse utter, “I could make that”. To which your wife rolls her eyes and buys it anyway.
- Do you love your tools so much you freak out when you can’t find a one of them?
- Have you found a brand of mower that cannot be beat, and you have more of them than you have lawns to mow?
- Are you on a first name basis with several employees at the woodworking store? Ala Cheers
- Are you daydreaming of transforming a kitchen stove into a powder coating station?
- Do guys come by for a beer and help you lift heavy things that can’t be lifted alone?
- Do you feel like something is missing when you aren’t wearing your PPEs (Gloves, glasses, and hearing protection)?
- Are your clothes ancient, stained, and worn primarily for protection?
- Do you hang out at another guys shop’s and know where all his tools are (and get blamed whenever something is out of place)?
If you answered yes to more than just a few, then you are exhibiting the signs and symptoms. You may be a carrier, or you may be suffering from a raging case of Renaissance Man.
For God’s Sake, Get a Room
The only cure for what ails you is to take action. What you need to do is genetically wired into your core being. Nike best summed it up in their company slogan. “Just Do It!”
Get a space to call your own, be it a man cave or a she shed. You likely already park on the street, because your garage is not for parking cars anymore. Pick a brand of tools you like, and “do your thing,” as James Brown said.
I Just Did It-
I created my happy place. Once you begin, there are all sorts of directions you can take. Here is my unique eclectic solution. Take it from a guy who created the best place for me to be reflective, creative, and to renew myself. All it takes is some me-time to “tame the lion,” as I like to say. An invitation here is a special thing.
We Build Man Caves and She Sheds
Garage envy is a disease if I’ve ever seen one. If only cars came with blinders. It’s the peripheral vision that puts guys over the edge. I can’t count the times I’ve heard, “But every other house in the subdivision has a bigger one than mine.”. Isn’t there a commandment against that? If you’ve been bitten by the Renaissance Man bug, we can help. Here is a link to our contact page.
Your comments are welcome. To ask questions or get more information about remodeling, click here to email me directly, or call 208-947-7261
If you or someone you know is considering remodeling or just wants to speak to a trustworthy remodeling contractor, please contact me. You’ll be glad you did.