Estimated reading time: 4 minutes, 27 seconds
Here is where it all begins, when I was 4 years old. Does it get any better? Sunday mornings on the carpet in the front room, building tall, tall buildings was all that I needed to make me happy. I was taking the available materials and using my imagination. My brothers and I would keep busy for hours. Another fond memory: is using building scraps to build an enormous airplane / fort in the back yard with all of my brothers and cousins. There were tree houses and all sorts of small projects. There was something about this type of thing that provided pleasure.
There was everything from collecting and straightening bent nails on my father’s job sites with Grandpa Ben to being the expediter on my summer vacations, driving trucks and working on the projects. I remember not wanting to clean up before coming home so my mom would know that I had been working hard. I have wandered and done all sorts of things in my life. I keep coming back to being creative with my hands and head.
What makes me tick– Some say I am driven to follow in my father’s footsteps, and I believe this is true. I want to do better than him in business. It is what every father wants for his children. I believe I have many of his same characteristics about style, quality, and customer service, which are all positive attributes. I also dream big and have powerful aspirations and a ferocious work ethic. However, I am also finding that I have inherited some of the same problems he was cursed with – many of which revolve around being more artistic than focused upon the financial realities that business is difficult. Remodeling is far more expensive than I thought it would be.
My reward has been positive feedback from others, the internal knowledge that a good job has been done, and that I have followed the golden rule.
I am blessed with having him as a mentor and having many others that constantly support me through my learning curves. I have this undying belief that business success will come from being conscientious, awake, and alert, as well as being an everlasting learner.
I believe it is up to me, not the economy, to seek out a living and fulfill my dreams. I use my time wisely by reading and writing, and clearing my head of the “garbage,” as one friend likes to say, that is somehow holding me back from being all that I can be. Some of my harshest critics say that I am remodeling as “a hobby” I like to think of it as a way to find happiness and great satisfaction in being who I am. In essence, like trying to maneuver a helicopter, I am trying to figure out a very big, complicated problem with lots of moving pieces.
What my job is- My job is to assemble a team of very talented people to make the description of work and bids I produce come alive and turn into great finished projects for my clients. Another is to bring all of my team’s talents together and deliver my A-game to the table. I need to keep alert for a better idea, because they come from everywhere. To be flexible, and adapt to existing conditions and the needs of my clients, and make recommendations that work. It is also to sell the vision of what the project will become when we are done, and lastly, to be a good example for my peers.
What stresses me out-
- Being disorganized.
- Being indecisive.
- Forgetting things.
- Not doing it right the first time
- Poor communications, no matter the reason
What Fills Me with Joy
- Having fun.
- Being a creative problem solver.
- Fixing things with my tools and my brain.
- Being relaxed.
- Being very focused.
- Getting great results through others.
- Getting positive feedback.
- Having the project’s process exceed expectations.
- Hitting the projected cost of goods sold (COGS) on the head.
This thing called business can’t be done alone or in a vacuum. I understand that it takes a dedicated and very talented group being lead by a passionate and equally talented and dedicated person to succeed.
Why I should be your Remodeler–
- I am the one you want because I listen and work with you to create a great plan that will meet your needs. I then help select the right components to create a great space through exceptional talent and experience.
- I am a professional remodeler with a tremendous amount of experience, and one who understands the risks and pitfalls and will avoid them to your benefit.
- I do not let any setback define me, only success.
- I will not settle for anything less than my best effort and the expertise of my team.
- I add value to homes through a collaboration of good communications of ideas and materials and techniques that, when put together, bring your dreams to life.